Exercise No. 2 - Ten Spaces


This is a picture of a wall from the place I work. It's one of the very few spots that have no merchandise on it. This wall shows it consisting of mostly brick and a cement base. However, despite the appearance, it's not real brick. I honestly don't know what it is; I just know it's hollow. I chose to take this picture since I spend a good amount of time at my work, so I might as well get some homework done while I'm there. Also, seeing it so empty made it feel like it was a neutral enough background for me to include in this post. Would I work with this background for an installation? No. Although it would be cool to make a grunge scenery, I doubt that I'll be able to pull off an installation at my work lol.

This is a picture of the right side of the Gaming House lobby. I chose specifically this area because I also spend a good amount of time here. This is the one area I'll spend time with friends to game and/or chit-chat. This area is neutral in its surrounding since majority of the focus is on the TV. I'd like to work with this area for a possible installation - centered around the video games that I play where there could be potential pop-up characters. This would be a hard location to work with, though, given that this location is used very often.


These two are also more picture of the Gaming House. The left one is still the lobby, but in a different area. This area tends to get preoccupied but hardly ever gets full. This area is where I sometimes do my homework. This is one of the Gaming House's bathrooms. I took this picture because it was empty. There's not much to say about these images otherwise. The left one I could see an installation be done in, especially throwing in some games / game references as well. The right one, not so much.


This is a picture of the right side of the Draheim lobby. This isn't too large of an area, so not a lot of people spend their time in this part of the lobby, but it does make do if you're looking to get sunlight or if you just need somewhere to relax that isn't your dorm. Its set up is supposed to feel comforting, and I feel it does just that since it's very much an intimate space. I could see myself doing an installation here as well, but I don't know what I'd fill it with. 


These two pictures are of the D&IC. I chose this space since this is where the Alianza club meetings happen. Being a board member and all, I know how to set things up in this space, so a potential installation idea for this space would either be some sort of collaboration with Alianza or use an Alianza event as an installation and capture and event for that manner. 


This picture was taken in Memorial Hall. It's usually used as a resting space, so people being in this spot is common. Seeing it empty gave me the perfect opportunity to snap a picture. I don't have much to say about this picture honestly, nor would I use it for an installation area. 


This picture is a corner from the art room in Memorial Hall. Normally this area is not messed with. This area mostly consists of unused chairs and the skeleton, so it was important to keep those in the picture as well. Given its lack of usage, it's be nice to set something up here for an installation. However, doing so would probably interfere with the other class that currently uses this room.



This picture is Main Hall's elevator area. I took this picture because the structure feels both odd yet makes sense - to have an elevator in the center of a hallway rather than have it pushed back to a wall. Once you're on the other floors, the elevator is backed into a wall and fades into the background. Back to the first floor, I feel like the elevator steers away from the neutrality and can become something of its own; there's no way to make this not be a center of attention - if people were to be in this scenery, they'd surround themselves in the center to use the elevator, and it being empty makes it noticeable. I wouldn't do an exhibition here either because of how public this area is and I'm rarely ever in this building.
 

Comments

  1. I love how you brought attention to the Main Hall elevator! I think this space has a lot of potential for some kind of unobtrusive installation because so many people pass through this space every day. The elevator really is the center of attention on the first floor so it would be cool to utilize its prominent position in the space for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In general, I sense that these spaces all have a moderate tone, creating a 'soft' atmosphere. I am particularly drawn to the picture featuring a skeleton in the room, which gives the impression of someone having been there, gazing outside for lots of years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Your Project Proposal Blog Post & Presentation

*Draft* Final Project - Self-Designed New Media Work